Background

Thursday, December 27, 2012

"Dad" Magnetic Board

The magnetic board pictured above was a custom order that I was able to try some "new to me" techniques. Through some trial and error, I finally was able to complete it! Here is what I did that finally worked:

1. The frame came without a back, so I cut some plywood to fit the frame.

2. I then cut some metal the size of the wood and used liquid nails to adhere it to the wood.

3. Once that was done I designed the saying on my computer and printed it off on fabric, using my laserjet printer.

4. I then ironed on some backing and did a messy stitch around the edges to attach it to the burlap (which I cut a little larger than the wood backing).

5. Next came attaching the burlap to the backing, which I used Elmer's permanent bond spray adhesive.

6. I wanted to use upholstery nails, in the corners of the fabric with the saying on it, but they were too long and would stick out the back of the wood, so I decided to cut off the nail part and glued them in the corners. Worked great!

7. For the magnets, I used some old keys and metal buttons.

8. The frame was stained somewhat, so to make it look more rustic, I sanded it and applied Antiquing Glaze.

If you like this idea and would like to place an order, please email me at: judesigns@hotmail.com. You can also check out some of my other designs on my facebook page at: www.facebook.com/dippitydot.

No comments:

Post a Comment